Reportedly, the Tamil Tigers were supported by the USA and its allies.
A December 1983 Sunday Mail article reported that Mossad was arming and training the Tigers.
And, the British Special Air Services (SAS) firm Keenie Meenie Services was reportedly training the Tamil Tigers. (Southern India, Sri Lanka terrorist groups)
On 23 October 2009, at Global research, Mahdi Darius Nazemroaya wrote about the Great Power Confrontation in the Indian Ocean: The Geo-Politics of the Sri Lankan Civil War
Among the points made:
1. India, the USA, Australia, UK, Japan, Canada, and the European Union supported the Tamil Tigers.
2. Iran, Russia, China and others supported the Sri Lankan government.
3. Chinese military ties with Sri Lanka started in the 1990s.
In 2007, Sri Lanka agreed to China building a massive naval port at Hambantota.
Thus Sri Lanka fell out with the USA and India.
4. The USA wants to encircle China and to prevent it from building bases outside Chinese territory.
5. After 2007, the USA cut its military assistance to the Sri Lankan military.
And Indian support for the Tamil Tigers increased.
6. After 2007, China began sending large arms shipments to Sri Lanka.
7. According to Brahma Chellaney of the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi, India: "China’s arms sales (were) the decisive factor in ending the military stalemate [in the Sri Lankan Civil War."
8. Sri Lankan leaders and military officials visited Iran, Russia and China in 2007 and 2008.
China, Russia, and Iran all helped arm the Sri Lankan military before the last phase of the Sri Lankan Civil War.
9. Russian, China, and Iran all face their own separatist movements like Sri Lanka.
All four nations see these movements as being supported by outside players.
10. Russia's Colonel-General Vladimir Moltenskoy acted as a military advisor to Colombo.
11. Sri Lanka is situated on a vital sea lane in the Indian Ocean.
The Chinese naval port at Hambantota is part of the struggle to secure energy routes.
Most of the energy supplies going to Asia pass Sri Lanka.
China wants a chain of naval bases in the Indian Ocean to protect energy supplies coming from the Middle East and Africa.
Myanmar (Burma) is also part of this project.
Iran wants to protect the sea routes between itself and China.
12. In 2009, Sri Lanka joined the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) as a dialogue partner. The SCO includes China and Russia.
13. If there had been a Tamil state it would most likely have been allied to the USA and India and might have had US military bases.
"Thousands of British Tamils will descend upon a major festival in London today despite accusations that it is a fundraising initiative for the Tamil Tigers." - Heroes' Day – or a terrorist fundraiser?
London Flaunts Role as World Terrorism Headquarters; Hosts Tamil Tigers..
aangirfan: Tamil Tigers and drugs, the Kurds and drugs, bin ...